Verve Joint
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeRadioPortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

From my news post

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Letiger
888.com
888.com
Letiger

Prestige : 6483
Verve-Fame : 17

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/21/2010, 3:19 am

From my latest Newgrounds news post :

Title : People should stop posting big

Body : Quite a while ago, maybe a month or two, I had a conversation with Scarab on his thread, "Expressing yourself with Media". I got on and on talking to him about the topic, which seemingly went off topic into posting. About how he posts huge, to which I replied that he shoudn't. The community woudn't care about that and as I've seen a lot of times they usually just Tl;DR his things while moving on to the next 1-2 line post. He saw it as a positive thing. ( Just a quick intermission here. My memory is a little fuzzy regarding the topic at hand and I am to lazy a bastard to go back and re-read over it, but not I have to to be able to get this thing out.)

Now from glancing over a few posts there, and by glancing I mean reading a few of his sentances in key places, I think I can write this paragraph. He sees it as a way to incorporate freedom of speech and woudn't care what people thunk of it. I, on the other hand, care about what the otehr people think. This is why I rarely, and I mean RARELY, post anything more than 1 paragraph. Infact, I only do those things in my recent reviews. The only places where I have even tried to attempt to post bug, are in one topic, the philosophy crew, and in a select (1-4) few topics.

And even then they do not come out as they are in the post box. I see the attempt to make huge tl;dr posts as a waste of time. Unless you're in somplace very serious where they will read it and respond witha thoughtful comment or reply. This is Newgrounds. Only the other parts of the forums are like that and they are largely inactive for a reply in a few minutes. I'm not even going to bother making posts like these for there is no reason to.

Sure there's always the, "you can become a mod" type things, but if you really look at it, it's not going to happen. Look around you. Look at the users who make these types of posts. Are they mods? No. And when you look at how the mods mostly post in places, they are generally medium to spammy posts, Rucklo. I tried doing them, like Scarab, once and coudn't compare. My mind does not have the ideas to continue typing for more than a few short paragrpahs. If I could, my reviews would be better. Not to say that the current ones are better than 70% of the ones I see.

That's no joke. The rest are like youtube comments. Off-topic for a second there. As I was going, even this news post I am running out of ideas. I look back over at Scarab's and see that he probably used the whole 30,000 character limit on his. That is generally rounded seeing as I have 30,000 left on this one. Also rounded to about 1-2 hundred places.

Can I come up with a good thread? No. There are only 2 threads that I have made in my entire 5 years on NG (3 accs) that have gone 5+ pages. One was simply a shove the thing to your bottom right into your ass. The finniest reply of which being, "Not only do we get these 4chan topics, we get them on a delay". The second is currently on going in that I have posted a picture of a furry-girl saying I would become furry for her. They are not good topics.

I only tried to copy what so many of the regulars do to make a successful topic. Either I think of something really funny, e.g the shove thing, or just post a random picture with a comment, the furry one. And with all this out of the way, I can say that long posting is meaningless, and time wasting. You're not writing a report that matters. You're on the internet. On the internet.

I cannot do it, for to do so you would have to remain completely optimistic. That's another quality of Scarab that I saw in the post. Something that I admire. I cannot do anything but remain pessimistic. Even if I make what seems to be the best topic in the world, one person shoots it down and I hate it. Cocks. See what I did? No one will know that was there because they will never bother to read this. Infact, I'd like to think that no-one goes through my profile because I am no-one in the NG community.

I simply have about 5,000 posts. That's nothing. Only the people that have 10,000+, which also have access to the 10,000 post forum, can be considered the real regulars. The rest, might simply be junior regulars. I would like to be one too, but I am probably not well known enough. This year too, my bans have gone down, but I have still been banned. Banned currently, I am. Sounded like Yoda a bit there, eh?

So with all that being said, this is pointless. The very through is pointless. The very action is pointless. Thank you for skipping to the end. Hope sometime you will read through this all, but probably not. Oh and it probably dosen't look as might as it does in the posting phase. Oh well. *Click*
Back to top Go down
Letiger
888.com
888.com
Letiger

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/21/2010, 4:03 pm

Scarab commented :

I'm always up for BBS politics, especially when I actually do have work to do, haha.

In my view, how you post online can really just be an extension of your personality, and while I don't really want to get really deep about it, getting all my thoughts down in a discussion is just something I find interesting and fun. Additionally, the threads I create are voicing true concerns and thoughts I've had. My various attempts at satire are ALWAYS spurred on by things I read around and so on. TL:DR replies are fine - there's still some grounding that someone will read some of my stuff and leave some of their thoughts/arguments, like yourself.

I think the 'optimism' values are part of this too... but. I don't think I'm completely optimistic (I play the self-deprecation card on the grounds that it slices something out of me and offers it up for disposal), but I also simply don't believe in an electronic, postmodern seperation of meaning. Put simply, we're all humans, and humans love to speak, show off, convey emotions, and so on.

When it comes to BBS politics, specifically talking BBS mods, I'm not completely optimistic again, but I have enough common sense not to take it all over the place, a la SuperMarioBrosS (no offense really intended to him). The fact is that if I don't like something on the BBS, if something is truly nagging me off to the point where I'm not enjoying myself, I will flag it up somehow in my own way that I think people might enjoy or find interesting. For example, what I've termed Heller's Law of BBS Moderation doesn't help things as far as I'm concerned; this is where you can only become a moderator if you've already been a moderator. I don't have any problem with keeping the 'experienced' old-timers around. I have problems when these users go out of their way to be exactly what they're moaning about.

I recently had some thoughts regarding a parrticular thread:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1 154046

Okay, so that thread isn't 'long' at all, but it's a thought.

And this brings me to the topic of mods like Rucklo. I don't 'hate' Rucklo, that'd be absurd. I don't know him. We just have completely contrasting senses of humour. In the thread above, I'm snidely comparing a thread about dust to what's, in my opinion, an equally silly topic, as well as putting together methods of getting rid of dust and getting rid of a minority of BBS spammers. A common criticism on my part is that by consistently bringing a 'stupid kids' viewpoint into the place, you're highlighting things that are really just minor annoyances that then reflect a self-fulfilling prophecy, in sociological terms. That, and to see the connection in concrete, you have to look hard at my thread... like you would have to look at dust. In short, I leave it up to anyone in the user base to interpret my humour (at the end of the day, I think I'm funny, yeah).

Ruckloists do the opposite. They exaggerate a point, then they exaggerate a point, then they exaggerate a point. It goes on, not with a didactic purpose, but with this self-assured over-milking facade. You know what I do agree with Rucklo on though, through and through? His first post here, think about it:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1 150923/2

I think you can find the things you're interested in, and you don't need to really go into great amounts of detail on the. I did enjoy reading this blog post though, and I liked your irony. Again, I could cut deep psychologically with how you seem to be bringing yourself down, but really, I think you can experiment with yourself a bit. And of course, we all like to have silly time. Look at this thread:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1 153688

Why did I post? I felt like it, and I need to breathe now and then. People have said, 'Oh look at Scarab, he always makes these great long posts, he must like to make long posts!'. If I was really as black and white as that, I'd be sad. I'm a sad kind of guy anyway, but this would be a step into a greater arena.

As far as reviews go, I think yours are fine right now. At least you realise they're better than a lot of YouTubesque ones. You don't need to be optimistic at all to realise that. Can that be taken elsewhere?

I've probably missed out a thought I had, but anyway. I know what you're saying. I found it interesting really. I think the question we need to ask ourselves now is, why? I can offer an answer: because we're human.

I'M ONLY HUMANNNNN...

I've tried to play irony too Smile
Back to top Go down
Letiger
888.com
888.com
Letiger

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/21/2010, 4:04 pm

My reply to Scarab's comment :

Yes. I did that too witht he title. I felt like typing something that embodied serveral inch long paragraphs. On the part that says "We're human" I have another response. We might be human, and we might crave social interaction, but what kind of response do we want? It's different for some people. The one I want is somewhat positive, although that is hard to achieve considering my standing. Yet, when I make a topic I usually strive for it. Sometimes, though, I just feel to make a spammy one. No particular reason.

Perhaps to make a bit of fun for it, but it never goes longer than an hour or two. Now you don't believe that you're completely optimistic, right? Well I do. However it;s simply a matter of standing. Use this if you will. Someone who has been covered in shit, literal or figurative, looks at someone who has been covered by, let's say, trash their whole life. Dosen't the one who has only had trash look completely bright and clean compared to the one with shit. While the trash sees itself as still not being fully clean. You see? It matters how far down we go in the hole.

Which hole? Dosen't matter. Now when you post some topics, let's say the dust one, in order to have a bit of fun combined with subtle humor? Some that you hope people will get? Well are they posting about it? I didn't see it. For I would like to be sure that someone has gotton it. I didn't, and that's fine. This is why I always want to know what people think of my work/posts. And when you make short posts, they provoke reaction.

A way I would do that, is to make a topic with a short sentance. That's the full body, and a picture to boot. An example would be one called Milk, saying "I like it." with a picture of milk. (Do we still have milkmen?) My reviews, when I said were better, you don't need to be pessimistic to realize they're better than a lot. Surely anyone with an ounce of common sense can see that something a few paragraphs neatly, almost, typed is better than one line going "i LOOOOVED it!"? Even if it was just one paragraph ( see the middle of my reviews), they would still be better than a majority. Infact, I'm proud of my reviews, and hope to be a review mod, but I don't review enough nor have a clean enough history to do it.

Onto the last part, which I was saving for last, is Rucklo. Or as you put it, "Ruckloisits". He does the, "stupid kids" posts a lot on genreal. I realize that it is an effect both to have funa nd to convey a message. An ironic message much like the title of this news post. And that is all well and fine, except that I don't see very many of his posts outside of general, well none actually ^______^.

Perhaps because I never see it, is why I generally say he makes spammy posts. Maybe I don't get out of general often enough to see them. Perhaps I'll go through his post history after I'm done with this.

We're human, and we crave different reactions. *EDIT* I think I made those paragraphs a bit too big. Maybe I'll copy/paste this newspost into a thread when I'm off my ban. I was banned for pointing out someone spelled "favor" "favour"
Back to top Go down
Fiaman
Bangkok
Bangkok
Fiaman

Prestige : 6497
Verve-Fame : 143

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/21/2010, 4:07 pm

Woah cmon now....... this is well interesting long i see..
Back to top Go down
DarkKingBernard
Boeing
Boeing
DarkKingBernard

Prestige : 6281
Verve-Fame : 50

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/22/2010, 4:41 am

Code:
TOO LAZY TO READ DUE TO LONGNESS
Back to top Go down
http://darkkingbernard.newgrounds.com/
Letiger
888.com
888.com
Letiger

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/22/2010, 5:33 am

Scarab typed what's in the second post, not me. I just made a news post, first, and a erply to Scarab, third.
Back to top Go down
Spunky6666
Satanic
Satanic
Spunky6666

Prestige : 6188
Verve-Fame : 58

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty3/22/2010, 8:13 am

I actually read all this crap. Sleep Yep. I sat through the whole thing, and the thing is, you're totally right. I'm no better off than I was before, and even though the post was huge, it could've been more effective had it been shorter and summarized.
Back to top Go down
http://spunky6666.webs.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

From my news post Empty
PostSubject: Re: From my news post   From my news post Empty

Back to top Go down

From my news post
Page 1 of 1